Before joining Dalmatian, I had a job I hated! I’d struggle to get out of bed, faff about getting into my car and moan about it to my friends! Yet STILL I couldn’t motivate myself to get a new job.
One day (call it an epiphany if you like) I made a list of the reasons I should probably make a change, it looked a bit like this.
1. You Need a Challenge.
- If you are looking for something different or a new challenge, then it’s always worth speaking to your current boss and seeing if there’s anything on the horizon that you could be working on.
- Make sure your boss is aware that you’re ambitious and would be interested in working on a special project or undertaking more training.
- If you haven’t told them directly, they might not think you’re interested in trying something new.
2. Work / Life Balance
- I realised in my old job that I spent a lot of my time travelling and could sometimes spend a couple of hours in the car every day. It started to affect my life as it became difficult to plan things with friends, as invariably I’d get stuff in traffic and end up being late or missing a class I’d booked at the gym.
- Work / life balance is incredibly important! One area should not overtake the other, you will only perform well in your job if you’re taking the time to relax and do things other than work.
- So if you feel it’s all work and no play, then maybe it’s time for a change?
- Money isn’t necessarily the be all and end all, but it’s nice to paid a decent wage for the job you’re doing.
- If you feel as though the chance to earn more is limited in your current workplace, then it might be worth a change.
- Equally if you’re not happy in your current job, taking a pay cut to move to a job you do like, is worth more than money.
4. Bad Boss!
- The reason for wanting to change jobs, might be that you don’t like your boss!
- It might be that they make your life a misery because they have a bad attitude or they overload you with work or they constantly overlook you for promotion.
- A great boss inspires and gets the best out of you, so if you’re not getting anything from your current boss it might be time for a change.
5. Don’t Worry Be Happy
- We spend so much of our lives at work, that I think sometimes we forget to take into account that it’s a place we should be happy.
- If something were wrong in your home life you’d change it (or you would make every effort to) yet in our professional lives, we sometimes put up with things that we shouldn’t and accept misery as part of our day-to-day lives.
- I decided it was time to find a job that did make me happy and that I deserved to enjoy the 9-5 bit of my life as much as I did the other areas!
Creating a Dalmatian profile is a great place to start if you are thinking of making a change. It will give you the chance to start to get organised and put together a profile and CV that will help get you spotted.
Once you have your profile, you can use it to apply for jobs that are advertised on our site or use it to create a free CV.