As well as hosting our own Dalmatian job shows, we also attend them across the UK and we’ve met lots of different people who want to know how having a Dalmatian profile can help them create a free CV.
We’ve also noticed that some of the people who come along get a lot out of them and some go home a little bit disappointed, so here’s our top tips to making the most of a job show.
- Dress Smartly.
- Treat the job show as you would an interview, so dress to impress.
- Turning up dressed smartly shows any potential employer that you’re serious about getting a job.
- Be Prepared.
- If it’s possible before you attend, find out which businesses and providers are attending, that way you can plan who you want to speak to.
- If there’s no list available beforehand, when you get there, do a quick recce and then work logically.
- You don’t want to waste any time.
- Arrive on time.
- Most job shows tend to run 10am – 2pm, but the reality is most things start to slow down after 1pm and some businesses pack up to go home.
- Getting there in the first couple of hours means you’ll have access to everyone who’s standing.
- Be Prepared.
- A job show is a great opportunity to meet lots of different businesses and local providers and the majority of them will be looking for new staff to join them.
- So be prepared to chat to as many people as possible and sell yourself, as you never know who you’re talking to and what opportunities might be available.
- Have a copy of your Dalmatian CV either printed off or ask for an e-mail to send it to them directly.
- Have a notepad with you, or take notes on your phone or collect business cards of the people you chat to, so that you can follow up conversations after the show.
- Be Open Minded.
- Although there will be people that you want to talk to, don’t dismiss companies you’ve never heard of.
- You never know what sort of positions they might have available, just because you perceive them as one type of business, doesn’t mean that they haven’t got other jobs they want to hire for.
- Even though, you might think that you don’t want to do any more training, it’s worth having a chat with different providers as you never know what’s available, particularly if you’re thinking of re-training or what a change of career.
Dalmatian will be attending the following job shows over the next couple of months.
- 21stSeptember – Ashfield Job Show, Festival Hall, Kirkby-in-Ashfield, 10am-2pm.
- 28thSeptember – Mansfield Job Show, Mansfield Library, 10am – 2pm.
- 16thNovember – Nottingham Job Show, Motorpoint Arena, 10am – 2pm.
Plus, you can always check our website for other events across the UK.