The other day I found myself going a bit stir crazy, so when it got to lunchtime rather than eating a sandwich at my desk, I grabbed the dog and went for a walk, spending my lunch break in the park.
In the afternoon, I found I was far more productive and the “To Do List” that had taunted me in the morning was all crossed off and I’d even planned my tasks for the following day.
So, rather than necking a cheese and onion sandwich as quickly as you can, why not use that hour for something more productive?
Here’s some suggestions.
- Go for a walk.
- I’m lucky as I can take my dog into the office, so there’s always an excuse to get out at lunchtime, but if you can’t have your 4-legged friend hiding under your desk, then still make the effort to go out for a stroll.
- Going for a walk will help improve your mood, it will help you burn calories and lose weight, it will also help get your creative juices flowing. If you’re in the middle of a project or trying to find the inspiration to put together a presentation a walk will help inspire you.
- Read a Book.
- Take yourself off somewhere you can get some peace and quiet and enjoy a book.
- It might be you choose a book that will help your personal development, or it might be that you choose to lose yourself in a thriller.
- Do a workout.
- If your workplace is near a gym you could use your lunch hour to do a workout, lots of people complain about not having the time before or after work to exercise so why not do it in work?
- If there’s no gym nearby then what about keeping a pushbike at work and going for a cycle or seeing if any colleagues fancy a lunchtime jog?
- Tidy your workspace.
- Having a tidy workspace can make you more productive, so throwing away the bits of paper that seem to accumulate over time will help you be more productive.
5. Meet a friend for lunch.
- If you have a friend who works nearby or in a different department arrange to meet them for lunch.
- Spending time with people you like having a laugh will help re-invigorate you for the afternoon ahead.
What’s your favourite way to spend your lunch break?