Sometimes when you’ve taken a career break or you’re looking to start your career, doing some volunteer work can be a really good place to start.
Volunteers make a huge difference to charities and organisations all over the UK. Volunteering can be hugely beneficial on many levels, not only does it provide a vital service to the charity or organisation you are helping, but it can also help you if you’ve been struggling to get a job or have had to take a career break for some reason.
- Builds Confidence – if you have been out of the job market for a while, you might find that your self-confidence has taken a bit of a knock. By becoming involved with an organisation as a volunteer, it allows you the chance to gently start to push yourself out of your comfort zone and realise that you are capable of lots of new skills.
- Create New Skills – Very often, organisations that rely on volunteers will have a million and one things that need doing, which means there’ll be plenty of opportunities for you to try your hand at lots of different things.
- Networking – Volunteering will give you the chance to meet people from all walks of life, with all kinds of experience. It’s a great way to learn from those around you and also showcase your skills to them. The more people you’re meeting and talking to and the more they get to know you, the more opportunities will come your way.
- Career Change – If you’ve been thinking about a career change, then volunteering for an organisation is a great way of exploring whether or not it would be the right move for you. Whilst acting as a volunteer isn’t the same as being a member of staff, it does allow the opportunity to get to know a different sector and explore your opportunities.
- Builds your CV – If you’ve been struggling to get a job and are worried about having gaps on your CV, then volunteer work can help you build up your work experience and show potential employers just how motivated you are.
Volunteering work can be incredibly rewarding and who knows where it could lead?
Dalmatian is committed to helping registered charities find volunteers and you can advertise your vacancies for free with us. If you’d like to know more, then please phone our office on (01623) 287880.